Monday, November 23, 2015

Covet Monday - Easy Sunken Apple Cake

Despite my recent successes in the kitchen I'd maintain that I am pretty rubbish at cooking, baking or general creating edibles. However, the recent glut of apples has forced me to think about what to do with them. 

 
Because of the aforementioned rubbishness on the homemaking front, I have long given up on what would be my go-to cake: my mum's yeast-cake recipe. Whenever I try that, the base doesn't go nice and fluffy as it does for my mum. It stays flat and dense. I also have no experience at making anything pastry. I therefore needed a recipe avoids the need for yeasty-lightness and any pastry knowledge. My Mama to the rescue: she dug out another one of her faves: a "sunken apple cake". No yeast, just a batter with the apples pushed in afterwards. It didn't turn out perfect but for the first attempt I'm pretty happy.

Ingredients
125g butter
125g sugar
Vanilla essence
3 eggs
250g flour
2 level teaspoons of baking powder
1kg apples
1/2 lemon
1 pinch of cinnamon
extra sugar & shaved almonds for topping (optional - I left them out)

Beat butter with sugar and vanilla essence until it turns light and "foamy". Add one egg at a time still beating. Add the sieved flour and baking powder one spoon at a time. Put batter in greased and floured springform.
Peel apples, halve, core and cut on the surface. Season with the lemon juice, lemon rind and cinnamon. Push into the batter.
Sprinkle with almonds and sugar and bake at 180 degrees C for 50 minutes.

Leave to cool, sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve with whipped cream.



The taste was really lovely but the apples are supposed to be deeper in the cake, I assume I didn't push them in deep enough. One to improve on for next time!




This article was featured in the Independent Fashion Blogger's Links à la Mode on the 3rd of December. Do have a look at the other blog posts below - well worth a read. Being all for no-fuss dressing, I particularlyliked Cubicle Chic's guide on how to dress for the party season.
SPONSOR: Shopbop RED Valentino, Ronny Kobo Dresses, Kenneth Jay Lane Jewelry, Tanya Taylor, Georgia Perry, Luna Skye, Formal Dresses, Turtleneck Sweaters, Mini Backpacks, Men's YUASA

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous recipe! It looks quite similar to something my gran used to make. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I'll have to try it again and push the apples in deeper next time!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...