Monday, November 02, 2015

Covet Monday: Be a Domestic Goddess

If you read my Covet post from a couple of weeks ago, you will know that I am pretty rubbish in the kitchen but that a glut of plums made me take the plunge and try out my hand at jam making. In said post I also mentioned that we did not only harvest plums but also blackberries. I guess, I could have just followed the same recipe and done some blackberry jam but memories of my grandmother's blackberry syrup made me search for a syrup recipe. Really remarkably easy, I managed to not mess it up.


700g blackberries
700g sugar

1. Wash berries, don't worry about the odd stalk left in there
2. Put berries into a saucepan on a low to medium heat. Add sugar. Do NOT stir.
3. After 5 minutes the berries will start to break up. Stir gently.


4. Leave on a medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stir gently every 5 minutes.
5. Put a muslin over a sieve and ladle in the mixture. Leave it to drip into a bowl for 1 hour. Do not squeeze.
6. Fill into sterilized bottles. I stood the bottles in boiling water for 10 minutes after filling.


The syrup is lovely drizzled over icecream or puddings, diluted in water or maybe in a glass of champagne as a Kir style drink.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! There's something so satisfying about successfully recreating these old-style recipes. I'm hoping to make it to the country next summer in time to harvest the blackberries too - this syrup would be so good over pancakes, banana and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally! :) Without getting too deep here, it's an appreciation of traditional stuff and a nostalgic way of remembering my granny. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...